German Empire

Elements area

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

    Source note(s)

    Display note(s)

      Hierarchical terms

      German Empire

      Equivalent terms

      German Empire

      • UF Deutsches Reich
      • UF German Reich
      • UF Reich allemand
      • UF Deutsche Kaiserzeit
      • UF Kaiserliches Deutschland
      • UF Deutsches Kaiserreich
      • UF Imperial Germany
      • UF Second Reich
      • UF 2e Reich
      • UF Allemagne impériale
      • UF Deuxième Reich
      • UF Empire d'Allemagne
      • UF IIe Reich
      • UF L'Empire allemand

      Associated terms

      German Empire

        65 Archival description results for German Empire

        5 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
        KIT-Archiv, 27025 · Fonds · 1889-1950
        Part of KIT Archive (Archive Tectonics)

        Contents: An overview of the contents can be found in the classification. History of origins: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Theodor Christoph Heinrich Rehbock (*12.04.1864 in Amsterdam, 17.08.1950 in Baden-Baden) studied civil engineering in Munich and Berlin from 1884 to 1890. After the diploma examination and the government building leader examination he worked from 1890 to 1892 in Berlin at the Reichstag building administration, then from 1893 to 1894 in the Bremen building administration. After passing the government building master examination in 1894, he worked in Berlin as a consulting engineer for hydraulic engineering and undertook journeys through Europe, to Canada and the USA as well as to South America and 1896/97 to southern Africa. In 1899 he was appointed full professor at the Technical University of Karlsruhe, where he established the river engineering laboratory and served as rector in the academic years 1907/08, 1917/18 and 1925/26. In 1934 Rehbock was emeritus. Pre-archival inventory history: Foreword by Klaus-Peters Hoepke in the provisional find book: "The inventory changed location several times between its creation and its transfer to the university archive. In 1943 Rehbock obtained permission from the rector to bring his papers from the river engineering laboratory to his house in Baden-Baden to arrange them. When Baden-Baden became a military restricted area in the autumn of 1944, Rehbock moved it to his alternative quarters in Ried b. Benediktbeuren/Obb. At the end of the war he took her back to Baden-Baden. Since his house was confiscated by the French military administration, he had to move again - taking his papers with him. During Rehbock's lifetime, but at the latest after his death, individual pieces of furniture, parts of his library, these papers - probably supplemented by parts of the written private estate - reached the Technical University of Karlsruhe. In September 1992 Prof. Dr. techn. Peter Larsen and PD Dr.-Ing. Hans Helmut Bernhart of the Theodor Rebock Institute arranged for the fundus to be transferred to the university archive. Furthermore Dr.-Ing. Andreas Richter from the Institute of Hydromechanics handed over a bundle of Rehbock manuscripts of the lecture on weirs to the archive in January 1995; it was added to the collection under the serial number 63a. The inventory listed below is made up of parts of the service room estate and private papers. In view of the distances travelled, experience has shown that it is hardly probable that the fundus that existed around 1943 is still completely preserved. After the war, for example, there must have been two folders with the correspondence that Rehbock had kept with the nestor of German hydraulic engineering, Hubert Engels from Dresden, a colleague he held in high esteem. In any case, the effects of war had destroyed not only countless measurement records, plans, etc. but also the historically valuable and extensive collection of site plans of the Rhine models: According to Rehbock, the already print-ready collection documented "the best I could achieve in the experimental world". (So to Anton Grzywienski, 15.12.1946, no. 162) [...] In Baden-Baden Rehbock actually dealt with arranging his papers. He probably used the registration plan as a basis, according to which he had correspondence, sketches, plans, etc. filed during his active time in the river engineering laboratory. (This registry plan no longer exists, so that the presumed losses can no longer be determined). Above all, Rehbock added explanatory remarks for posterity to individual folders or documents. Many documents then contain underscores, paint strokes or margin notes made with coloured pencils (red, purple or green). Unfortunately, it is not always clear whether these are traces of processing from the course of business or later highlights, which it seemed advisable to place roebuck in view of posterity." Archive history: Most of the documents were transferred from the Theodor Rehbock Institute to the university archive in September 1992. A small levy was made in January 1995 from the Institute of Hydromechanics (No 63a). The Institute for Hydraulic Engineering and Cultural Engineering, which emerged from the Theodor Rehbock Institute, submitted further documents in 1996, which Hoepke classified partly in "Signatures" he had created and partly under No. 351-381. Numbers 370-381 included 1,345 photographic glass plates. These were included in a provisional list in late 2003 and filmed and digitised at the turn of the year 2003/04. On 02.06.2008 the addition 29/? was added to the inventory as signature number 406. Explanation of the order: The order of the inventory was established in its basic features according to the order carried out by Theodor Rehbock. Changes took place in the initial stock formation in the university archive (see Archivische Bestandgeschichte) and in the digitisation of the finding aid in 2005. Indexing information: In the second quarter of 2005, the finding aid available in electronic form was easily edited and imported into the finding aid database. The existing classification was adopted largely unchanged. During the digitization of the finding aid, signatures with alphanumeric additions were changed to purely numeric signatures. Classification overview: 1. personalia 2. colonial matters 3. university matters 4. memberships 5. manuscripts 6. divining rod 7. structural engineering 8. technical contacts in the USA 9. tooth sleeper patent and its exploitation 9.0 general 9.1 German projects 9.2 Company Dyckerhoff 9.3 Company Philips

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe, 69 Baden, Sammlung 1995 F I · Collection
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. General State Archive Karlsruhe (Archivtektonik)

        Origin and tradition: The Grand Ducal photo collection from the reign of Frederick I and his wife Luise probably originated from gifts, orders and acquisitions (e.g. while travelling). It is not yet possible to say to what extent there was a real will to collect, but the collection was carefully preserved, partly noted in inventory lists and probably moved from Karlsruhe Castle to the New Palace in Baden-Baden in 1919. There, even after the death of Grand Duchess Luise, he occasionally grew. When the castle inventory of 1995 was dissolved, the State of Baden-Württemberg was able to acquire the entire photo collection for the General State Archives; a selection of family photos and some magnificent volumes remained the property of the House of Baden. He also owns an essential part of the photo collection of the last Grand Duke, Frederick II, who fortunately was not kept in the Freiburg Palais after 1919. Content: The medium of photography was highly valued and consciously used at the Baden court as a modern form of princely representation. The distribution of portrait series to the public can be reconstructed and the long reign of Frederick I enabled the presence of the "father of the country" or the "parents of the country", as can be found among the Hohenzollern, the Wittelsbachers or the Habsburgs. Documents from these photo commissions to the court photographers make up a not insignificant part of the collection. The proportion of gifts and souvenir pictures received after anniversaries, celebrations, manoeuvres, exhibitions, inaugurations, etc. is greater; the handing over of portraits of foreign visitors also belonged to this group, especially in the context of the summer stays in Baden-Baden. One of the most important gifts are probably the works with which photographers wanted to attract attention, acquire the title of court photographer or receive further commissions; in this way, works from the early days of photography came into the Grand Duke's possession: signed prints by Charles Clifford, the Upper Italian and Southwest German series by Jakob August Lorent in 60x80 format already admired at the time of their creation (Lorent also left to the Grand Duke a detailed description of his recording and development process) or, to name regionally effective photographers, photographs by Richard/Heidelberg, Tillman-Matter/Mannheim, Th. shoe man

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe, 592 K · Fonds · 1879-1987
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. General State Archive Karlsruhe (Archivtektonik)

        Tradition: The Großherzogliche Badische Baugewerkeschule was founded in 1878. Since 1919 it was called "Badisches Staatstechnikum" or "Badische Höhere Technische Lehranstalt (Staatstechnikum)" (1923), since 1946 "Staatstechnikum Karlsruhe", since 1963 "Staatliche Ingenieurschule Karlsruhe", since 1971 "Fachhochschule Karlsruhe - Hochschule für Technik"; in 2005 it was renamed "Hochschule Karlsruhe - Technik und Wirtschaft". In contrast to the architecture department of the Polytechnic University, the drawing examination papers of the students of construction trades were kept at the school. As far as the documents were not collected by the school administration - especially in the period after about 1970 - an extensive, largely coherent set of plans has been preserved. It was handed over to the General State Archives in 1999 together with a transfer list in Access format, and more recent work was added in 2004. In the archive, the entire holdings were signed, packaged and re-registered by the ladies Mohd, Hummel and Vogt, the list of consignments was edited and converted into 'scopeArchiv' in 2012. The variety of query options (by building type, drawing technique, etc.) was retained in 'scopeArchiv' in a field visible only to the archive staff and in the source file (Access).a few privately owned student works that came to the General State Archive with the Thomas Kellner Collection in 2006 were incorporated; the drawing portfolio of Franz Kühn for the years 1934 to 1937 is now available as a sample portfolio for all subjects at the end of the student works.Further student works, which were delivered together with files of the building department also in 2004 - among them e.g. building photographs of Black Forest farms of the excursion of 1937 -, are recorded in inventory GLA 592 Access 2004-69. Some building photographs of monuments from this convoy were probably inadvertently taken over into the general plan inventory GLA 424 K. Plans (blueprints) of the Karlsruhe City Planning Office for the redesign of the Market Square from 1974 were submitted to the City Archive. Content: The approximately 100-year-old tradition conveys the teaching methods of drawing and the architectural expectations of the time between historicism and modernism and is thus an outstanding source for the transformation of technology, architectural aesthetics and reception behaviour over the social ruptures of the 20th century. Probably the most valuable part, almost half of the total stock, is taken up by the plans from the subjects of construction survey and design; the names of the subjects changed in the process. The annual publications of the Baugewerkeschule, such as the "design of bourgeois residential buildings" by the construction students or the recording of "patriotic monuments" in the whole of Baden by the prospective trade teachers, show that the focus here was on the core of teaching at least until 1914; part of the semester and holiday work was thus published promptly in large-format volumes (cf. the incomplete series in the library of the General State Archives, Cw 8102ff, 1885-1914 and individual proof pages, together with pages from architecture and engineering textbooks, as an appendix in fonds 592 K). In the 1920s, industrial and functional buildings came to the fore. During National Socialism, the main focus of interest was on the design of housing estates, and in the cataloguing of architectural monuments almost exclusively farmhouses in the Black Forest and in Baden's Franconia region; these architectural photographs are of particular value as historical architectural sources (a photo in No. 1581 shows members of one of the 1937 field trips to take a picture of a farm). But also the registration of e.g. Karlsruhe city centre buildings, which were destroyed during and after the Second World War, or the systematic mapping of Überlingen town houses in 1935 are important and so far almost unknown architectural inventory achievements. In the post-war period, photographs of buildings appeared almost exclusively as part of general drawing lessons; interior designs were added in the 1960s. All in all, the student works provide a good insight into the "tempo" of style change and architectural convention, precisely because of their dependence on current teaching and building practice. Photographs of architectural monuments on Lake Constance by the Constance photographer German Wolf from the years around 1900 form a separate group. They are testimonies to early monuments inventory, in the context of the building photographs perhaps as a model or as material for teaching. In contrast, photographs of plans whose originals were missing - mostly montages on large cardboard boxes from the 1960/1970s - remained in the main inventory. Drawing templates and other foreign materials were summarised, plans such as photos, which had gotten between the pupils' work as teaching aids; they can now be found at the end of the collection, as far as they could not be collected as duplicates. Access database: The database of the University of Applied Sciences will continue to be maintained as it allows further access to the stock due to its sorting possibilities, but does not have the same text status as the available finding aids data. Special mention should be made of the sorting according to "object groups":Sacral buildings (1)Public buildings (2)Residential buildings (3)Agricultural buildings (4)Others (5).The encryption "Type of execution" can also be used for exhibition preparations: Technical - black-and-white1Technical - colored2Artistic - black-and-white3Artistic - colored4. For the archive personnel, text parts can be queried in the data field "internal archive remarks", so that a selection according to these criteria is also possible in 'scopArchive'. Examples are "Item group: 1 (sacral buildings)" and "Type of construction: 1 (technical, black and white)". Literature: Wolfram Förster, 125 years Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences, University of Technology, 1878-2003, Volume 1, Historical Development (Ingenium 4), Karlsruhe 2003

        BArch, RH 23 · Fonds · 1939-1945
        Part of Federal Archives (Archivtektonik)

        Inventory description: The Commandant Rückwärtiges Armeegebiet (Korück) was established during the mobilization as a command post at the Army Commandos of the Wehrmacht. The Korücks were used as administration of the occupied enemy areas directly between battle zone and rear army areas under the administration of the army groups. At the beginning of the war there were nine Korücks, in the course of the war more Korücks were built as needed. During the war, some Korücks were transformed into supreme commanders. A Korück consisted of 17 officers, 6 civil servants, 18 non-commissioned officers and 38 crews, plus 7 "Hilfswillige. The task was to secure supply routes, supply bases, railway lines, communication links, the most important airports as well as to guard and transport prisoners of war. The Korücks were in charge of the security divisions and regiments, Landesschützen battalions, field and orc commandant posts, units of the field gendarmerie and the secret field police as well as staffs for prison collection points and transit camps (Dulag). The Korücks were distributed as follows during the Polish campaign: In the east: 3rd army (501), 4th army (580), 8th army (530), 10th army (540), 14th army (520), HGr. south (570) in the west: 5th army (560), 1st army (590), 7th army (550) Between 10th and 16.09.1939 the Korücks 581-589 and 591-592 were reassembled. Of these altogether 20 Korücks remained however in Poland or were otherwise used: 501 as staff 421.infantry division in East Prussia 530 as Oberfeld-Kommandantur (OFK) Warschau, later 386.Infantry Division 570 as OFK Krakow, later transferred to the Netherlands 581 as OFK Radom, later 372 Infantry Division 586 as Staff "Oberost" (Commander-in-Chief East), later Commander's Office Warsaw 587 as OFK Tschenstochau, later 351.Infantry Division On 5.01.1940 further 3 Korücks (670-672) were established, but were renamed with some others still in the winter 1939/1940 into Oberfeldkommandanturen and were used after the France campaign as follows: 520 as OFK 520 in Mons 570 as OFK 570 in Gent 589 as OFK 589 in Liège 591 as military administrative district A St.Germain (initially OFK) 592 as Military Administrative District C Dijon (initially OFK) 670 as OFK 670 in Lille 671 as Military Administrative District B in Angers (initially OFK) 672 as OFK 672 in Brussels For use by the armies only: HGr. B 18.Armee, Korück 588, later (1942) Commander H.Gebiet Südfrankreich 6.Army, Korück 585 HGr. A 9. army, Korück 582 2. army, Korück 583 4. army, Korück 580 12. army, Korück 560 16. army, Korück 584 HGr. C 1. army, Korück 590 7. army, Korück 550 Since the armies in France had no more army territory after the armistice, the office of the Korück was also cancelled with them. In the Russian campaign and on the other theaters of war Korück's armies were assigned from north to south as follows: 20.Geb.Armee Korück 525 (10.09.1941, first for East Karelia) HGr. Nord 18.Armee 583 (from 2.Armee Westen) 16.Armee 584 (as in the west) HGr. Mitte 9.Army 582 (as in West; exchange August 1943 with 2.Pz.Army, now 532) 3.Pz.Army 590 (from 1.Army West) 4.Army 559 (01.02.1041) 2.Pz.Army 532 (16.02.1942; Exchange August 1943 with 9.Army, now 582 in the Balkans) HGr. B 2.Army 580 (from 4th Army West) 4.Pz.Army 593 (15.01.1942; December 1942 Exchange with 6.Army, now 585) 6.Army 585 (as in the West; December 1942 Exchange with 4.Pz. Army, now 593) HGr. A 1.Pz.Army 351 (27.03.1942) 17.Army 550 (from 7.Army West) 11.Army 553 (01.02.1041; remained in Crimea; 1943 dissolved) Balkan 12.Armye/HGr. E: 560 (became 01.10.1942 Command) Thessaloniki Aegean Sea) Italy 10.Army 594 ( 01.02.1944 from Field Commandantur 1047) 14.Army 511 ( 1944?) The 8.Army newly established in southern Russia in 1943 first had the Korück 595, which went to Italy as OFK 379 and was replaced on 01.10.1943 by the Korück 558 (formerly OFK 787 Kharkov). In 1944 also the armies in the west received again a Korück: 1.Army 535 (01.10.1944 as Korück AOK 1) 7.Army 534 (10.01.1945) - or 534 with the 1.Fallsch.Army (presumably from OFK 770) 15.Army 517 (December 1944 from Feld-Kommandantur 517) 19.Army 536 (1944/1945) 25.Army 533 (*November 1944 from OFK 670) (according to Tessin, Georg: Associations and troops and the German Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS in the Second World War 1939-1945, 1st vol, Osnabrück 1979) Characterization of the contents: The Korücks' war diaries have survived. These mainly document security measures and supplies, operations against partisans with reports of fighting by troops and police. In addition, there are commands, service instructions and arrangements, e.g. for supply. Furthermore, situation, combat, activity and deployment reports as well as organisational and personnel documents (staffing lists, etc.) are available in the inventory. Occasionally photographs and maps (maps of operations and locations) have been handed down. Parts of the documents were already handed over to the Army Archives in Potsdam during the war. After the end of the war in 1945, the documents were confiscated by the US armed forces. After their return to the Document Centre of the Military History Research Office in the 1960s, the holdings were taken over by the Military Archives of the Federal Archives. State of development: Findbuch Zitierweise: BArch, RH 23/...

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Staatsarchiv Ludwigsburg, EL 232 Bü 79 · File · 1913
        Part of State Archives Baden-Württemberg, Dept. State Archives Ludwigsburg (Archivtektonik)

        Contains: Bill of lading for the delivery of ethnographic objects; offers for ethnographic objects and photographs, collections as a gift to the museum Darin: 1. statutes of the German Society for Islamic Studies, 1913; 2. outline of the German Vorderasienkommitees; 3. brochure of the "Erste große Kolonial-Ausstellung, Saarbrücken", 1913; 4. principles and organisation of the cultural history department of the international exhibition for book trade and graphics, Leipzig, 1913

        Dessau Breweries (inventory)
        Landesarchiv Sachsen-Anhalt, I 437 (Benutzungsort: Dessau) · Fonds · 1885-1996
        Part of State Archive Saxony-Anhalt (Archivtektonik)

        Note: The holdings contain archival material that is subject to personal protection periods in accordance with § 10 Para. 3 Sentence 2 ArchG LSA and until their expiration is only accessible by shortening the protection period in accordance with § 10 Para. 4 Sentence 2 ArchG LSA or by accessing information in accordance with § 10 Para. 4a ArchG LSA. Find aids: Findbuch 2011 (online searchable) Registraturbilddner: The beginning of the brewing industry in Dessau goes back to the 1548th Brewing Law Award. 1832 August Schade entered the brewing business and founded the "Brauerei Schade".

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, M 703 R975N5 · File
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. Main State Archives Stuttgart (Archivtektonik)

        Execution: Photography Louis Koch, Bremen, photographer Image carrier: Photo paper glued to cardboard Image and sheet size: 27 x 22 cm; 29 x 23.5 cm Beaus estate Marchtaler von (1854-1920), Otto Erhard, colonel general and minister of war, caption: Adoption of the 3rd East Asia. Inf. Rgts by S. M. the Emperor and I. M. the Empress on board the Rhine in Bremen, picture has repelled edges

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Staatsarchiv Sigmaringen, N 1/78 T 1 · Fonds
        Part of State Archives Baden-Württemberg, Sigmaringen State Archives Department (Archivtektonik)

        The story of the person Robert Arnaud was born on 30 June 1885 in Sigmaringen. After attending high school, he completed a three-year apprenticeship in Heilbronn, which was followed by work in various drugstores and as a representative for Kathreiner's malt coffee. In November 1908 Robert Arnaud acquired a building in the Schwabstraße in Sigmaringen, which was to house the Robert Arnaud city drugstore in the following years. In 1928 the shop was enlarged by an extension in the Bauhaus style. Robert Arnaud's marriage to Amelie Dieringer (1889-1970) in 1910 produced the daughters Gertrud (1911-1990), Hildegard (1912-1995) and Gretel (1916-1995) and his son Robert (1927-1945). Robert Arnaud died on 11 May 1945, shortly after his son had been shot dead during the invasion of Sigmaringen by French troops. Inventory history and report of the researcher Renate Arnaud handed over the available documents to the Sigmaringen State Archives in 2004, 2005 and 2007 (accession numbers 55/2004, 20/2005 and 9/2007). This is an enriched estate with a term of approximately 1871 to 2005. The focus is on the first two decades of the 20th century and the years between 1930 and 1940. Corinna Knobloch recorded the documents in the period from March to July 2006 and in February 2007. During the development 1381 units were formed, consisting among others of 5 master plates, 14 units with correspondence, 1191 postcards or folders with postcards as well as photographs, 4 photo glass plates, 479 collector's pictures of Kathreiner's Kneipp malt coffee, Liebig's Fleisch-Extract, Bernsdorp's Cacao

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, M 703 R975N4 · File · 1900
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. Main State Archives Stuttgart (Archivtektonik)

        Execution: Photography Persons and institutions involved in the creation: Hans Brenoy (?), Hamburg, photographer Image carrier: Photo paper glued on cardboard Image and sheet size: 21.5 x 19.5 cm Remarks: from the estate of Marchtaler von, Otto Erhard, Colonel General and Minister of War, back notation: 3rd sea battalion embarking on East Asia, Hamburg, 1900, image damaged

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, M 703 R975N3 · File
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. Main State Archives Stuttgart (Archivtektonik)

        Execution: Photography Persons and institutions involved in the creation: Hirrlinger, Alfred, Stuttgart, court photographer Image carrier: Photo paper glued to cardboard Image and sheet size: 23 x 17 cm; 36 x 30 cm Remarks: Stiftung von Wöhrle, Stuttgart, Government Inspector, 1938, caption: Farewell from the regiment of the II. expedition of the Württ. teams to China, picture is tainted

        German-Southwest Africa
        Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz, IX. HA, SPAE, IV Nr. 32 · File · ca. 1905 - 1907
        Part of Secret State Archive of Prussian Cultural Heritage (Archivtektonik)

        and others: Departure of the passenger steamer "Alexandra Woemann" from Hamburg harbour, 31.08.1905; Madeira; Tenerife; Kahnrivier; Otawibahn; Karibib station; Otjimbingue; Otawi; Otjikotosee; Tsumeb mine; Waterberg; Okahandja; Windhoek; Kub; members of the German Schutztruppe; German farms; radio station near Otawi; 10. Field company (collective portrait); captured Herero; Zacharias Zeraua with family; reception of the Undersecretary of State Friedrich von Lindequist (1869, ?1945); reception for Ludwig von Estorff (1859, ?1943) after the end of the Herero Uprising in Windhoek; Colonel Berthold von Deimling (*1853, ?1944); Bushmen of the Namib Desert; (ca. 34 x 25 cm) ca. 23 x 17 cm; album with photographs, black and white; partly faded out

        Itete
        BMW bmw 2/227 · File · bis 1939
        Part of Protestant Regional Church Archive Berlin

        14 photographs of persons (e.g. Jauer, Käthe; Oelke, Heinz; Oelk, Erika), villages and landscapes.

        Berlin Missionary Society
        Koernicke, Max
        SN101 · Fonds · 1800 - 1957
        Part of Bonn City Archive

        Personal papers, scientific correspondence - also of his father Friedrich Körnicke [sic!] (1828-1908), also professor of botany in Bonn, as well as documents of his father-in-law Conrad Cichorius - expeditions, lectures, speeches, manuscripts, numerous private and professional photographs

        BArch, R 1001/2312 · File · Febr. 1910 - Sept. 1912
        Part of Federal Archives (Archivtektonik)

        Contains among other things: The causes of the decline of the indigenous population in the West Caroline and Palau Islands and ways and means of controlling mortality. Memorandum. Berlin 1910 Indigenous workers in the South Sea protectorate 12 photographs of pen barracks and hospital complexes

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, M 660/300 · Fonds · 1883-1951
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. Main State Archives Stuttgart (Archivtektonik)

        1 On the biography of Karl Sauter: Karl Sauter was born on 16 May 1870 in Stuttgart as the son of the later director of construction Karl von Sauter. His mother Maria Sauter, née Breimeier, died eight days after his birth. Karl Sauter subsequently grew up with his maternal grandparents in Dettingen/Urach before moving to Stuttgart at the age of six to live with his father, who had remarried in the meantime. After attending a boarding school, Sauter embarked on a military career. In 1885 he joined the cadet corps in Oranienstein and in 1886 the main cadet school in Groß-Lichterfelde. In the years from 1889 to 1900 Sauter served as a lieutenant secretary and prime lieutenant in the Infantry Regiment No. 120. In October 1900 he was commanded to the Great General Staff, where he received a captain's post in 1903. Sauter returned to Württemberg in March 1904. He took over a company of the Grenadier Regiment No. 123. In 1909 Sauter became general staff officer of the 27th Infantry Division. After his promotion to Major (1910) and a one-year activity at the Large General Staff (1911/12), he was transferred to the Fusililier Regiment No. 122 (1912). During the First World War, Sauter worked from October 1914 to June 1915 as First General Staff Officer in the XXVI Reserve Corps. From July 1915 he commanded the newly established Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 122, and from June 1916 he served as Chief of the General Staff of the 26th Reserve Corps. During the first three years of the war, Sauter was deployed mainly in Flanders (including Poelkapelle and Langemarck), Lorraine (including St. Julien and Longwy), the Champagne (including Reims) and the Somme. In February 1915 he was appointed lieutenant colonel. From September 1917 until the end of the war, Sauter served as Chief of the General Staff of the Government of Antwerp. After the end of the war Karl Sauter was stationed 1919 as liaison officer of the Württemberg War Ministry at the OHL in Kolberg. In 1920 he retired from military service; at the same time he was given the character of a major general. Subsequently, Sauter reoriented himself professionally and began a career as a businessman. Sauter wrote numerous (lecture) manuscripts on topics of time and defence policy during his military service, but above all after his departure from the army. The texts express his closeness to National Socialist ideology. Sauter was, among other things, a member of the NS Volkswohlfahrt. After the end of the Second World War, Sauter had to answer for himself in a denazification case in Stuttgart, where he travelled extensively to numerous European and non-European countries for several decades. Sauter died on 11 March 1959. 2. On the military estate of Karl Sauter: The holdings were transferred to the Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart in August 1959. The records were undeveloped so far. They were arranged and listed by archive trainee Dr. Christine Axer under the guidance of Dr. Wolfgang Mährle in December 2010. The military estate of Karl Sauter comprises 1 linear meter. Sauter's memoirs "From my time and for the understanding of the history of my time", which are handed down in the estate and partly kept in the form of a diary, cover a period of more than sixty years. They provide information about the military career of their author as well as about the numerous journeys he made to almost all continents. The memoirs are supplemented by a comprehensive collection of material and a series of unpublished manuscripts by Sauter, in which - politically colored - he deals on the one hand with (military) political and historical questions, and on the other hand also reflects on human existence. The collection also contains numerous postcards, maps and photographs. The latter in particular reveal an unvarnished view of the First World War and its horrors. 3. references: - HStAS, M 430/2 Bü 1786, Sauter, Karl (military personnel file);- HStAS, M 707 No. 1286, Sauter, Karl (14 photographs);- StAL, EL 902/20 Bü 61623 Heimatspruchkammern Spruchkammer 37 - Stuttgart: Procedural files: Sauter, Karl.Stuttgart, December 2010Dr. Wolfgang MährleDr. Christine Axer

        Untitled
        Miscellaneous: vol. 4
        BArch, N 1433/494 · File · 1936-1956
        Part of Federal Archives (Archivtektonik)

        Contains among other things: Colonial history (esp. Asia, Africa and English colonial empire) General observations on world history (handwritten notes, lectures) France in the age of absolutism. Lecture, 1936 Germany after the First World War Contains also: Material on Colonial History Newspaper clippings Material on the Prehistory of the Foundation of the Reich Photographs Examinations on Overseas History, Apr. 1945

        BArch, R 8076 · Fonds · 1921-1939
        Part of Federal Archives (Archivtektonik)

        History of the Inventory Designer: After the International Olympic Committee (IOC) had awarded the 1936 Summer Olympics to Berlin, the mayors of Garmisch and Partenkirchen tried to reach the IV Olympic Games in their communities in that year. Olympic Winter Games. In June 1933 the time had come: the two communities prevailed within Germany against the competing cities Braunlage and Schreiberhau. Foreign competitors Montreal in Canada and St. Moritz in Switzerland were also left behind. In the run-up to the Winter Olympics, the two communities were united on 1 January 1935 to form a market community (Garmisch-Partenkirchen) against their resistance. In a short time, the preparatory organisation of the Winter Games had to take place from 1933 onwards, which was to be secured financially not only by support payments from other towns and municipalities, but also by an additional citizen's tax for the inhabitants of Garmisch and Partenkirchen. In total, costs of 2.6 million Reichsmarks had to be shouldered. On August 23, 1933, the Organizing Committee was founded in Garmisch-Partenkirchen to organize the Winter Games. The President of the Organizing Committee was Dr. Karl Ritter von Halt (1891-1964), Chairman of the Board of Managing Directors of Munich-based Bankhaus Auffhäuser. His deputy and treasurer was the director of the Bayerische Gemeindebank Friedrich Döhlemann, general secretary was Baron Peter Le Fort. Dr. Hermann Harster was responsible as press officer. The committee was particularly responsible for organising the construction and repair work. In record time, the Olympic Ski Stadium with the Great Olympic Hill, in which the opening and closing ceremonies were also to take place, and the Olympic Art Stadium were built. At the Riessersee the sports facilities for speed skating, ice shooting and bobsleigh races were extended or newly built. The course of the skialpine competitions, which took place for the first time as part of the Olympic Games, also had to be determined. In addition, logistical planning had to be carried out, for which the 1935 German Winter Sports Championships had to be regarded as a test run. Traditionally, the significance of the Winter Olympics was still lagging behind that of the Summer Games. The IV. The Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen were a first step out of the shadow of the Summer Games. From 6 to 16 February 1936, 646 athletes from 28 nations took part in 17 competitions in bobsleigh, ice hockey, figure skating, speed skating, alpine skiing and Nordic skiing. Ice-shooting and military patrol were conducted as demonstration competitions. In the course of the ski alpine competitions, which took place for the first time, there had previously been disputes with the International Ski Federation because the IOC refused to let ski instructors take part in the competitions as professionals. The ski associations of Austria and Switzerland then boycotted the Winter Games. The logistical effort as well as the organisation of the competitions and the accommodation of the athletes were accompanied by a high number of visitors. Only with the efficient use of public transport was it possible to ensure that around 500,000 people could attend the games as spectators. The final event alone with the awarding of all medals was attended by approx. 150,000 people. Cooperation with the Reichsbahn was therefore necessary, and the Reichspost was also an important partner for radio broadcasting. The media marketing and broadcasting of the games was a prelude to the Summer Games. This shows that above all public relations work was an essential part of the work of the organising committee. At home and abroad, advertising was done for the Olympic Winter Games in order to present the Reich as a supposedly civilized and peaceful country. After it had been prevented that the USA boycotted the games because of the racist politics of Germany, the organizing committee did everything to use the Olympiad for propagandistic purposes. Karl Ritter von Halt had all signs with anti-Semitic inscriptions removed and banned anti-Jewish smear campaigns in order not to endanger the prestige object "Olympic Games". The Winter Games were a test run for the Summer Games, which is why the IOC and NOK (then the German Olympic Committee), as well as the government of the Reich, attached particular importance to them. In the presence of Adolf Hitler and numerous leading members of the NSDAP, they were opened in the ski stadium on 6 February 1936. Outstanding athletes were the Norwegian figure skater Sonja Henie, the Norwegian speed skater Ivar Ballangrud and the German skier Christl Cranz. The staff of the organizing committee of the IV Olympic Winter Games included: President: Dr Karl Ritter von Halt Secretary General: Baron Peter le Fort Adjudant to the President: F. von Podewils, Raymund Nölke, Ilse Damköhler Sports organization: Hans Nölke, Renate Fischer Registration office: Anastasia Hartmann, Josephine Dangl, Toni Jeggs, Elisabeth Zehner Registration: Anni Schwab, Hans Karg, Adolf Wiedemann Head of deployment: Major Feuchtinger Traffic and Order: Captain Walter Titel, Mrs. Michael Olympic Construction Office: Joseph Dürr, Josef Hartl, Ludwig Gareis, (Arthur Vollstedt) Programme: Dr. Fritz Wasner, Ms Rönnebeck Olympic Traffic Office: Max Werneck, Max Urban, Anton Wiedemann, Heinrich Witztum, Erich Junker, Heinrich Wegener, Lina Rühling, Eva Ackert Bobsleigh top management: Alex Gruber, Hans Edgar Endres, Ms Dangl Treasurer: Friedrich Döhlemann Inventory description: Inventory history The records of the organizing committee of the IV. After the end of the Winter Games, the 1936 Winter Olympics went to the Reichsarchiv, where it remained for the time being - apart from a loan of the holdings to the Organising Committee, probably on the occasion of the 1940 Olympic Games. From 1946 the collection was in the Central State Archives of the GDR, from where it was borrowed again from 1953 to 1964, this time to the National Olympic Committee of the GDR. Copies were also made in this context. In 1964, with the exception of a few files, the holdings were returned to the Central State Archives. Since 1990 it has belonged to the holdings of the Federal Archives. The remaining 0.2 running meters, which remained with the National Olympic Committee of the GDR after 1964, were transferred from the DR 510 stock to the R 8076 stock in December 2004. A further nine archive units were subsequently transferred to R 8076 in January 2007, in the course of orderly work on various holdings, including R 8077. Archive evaluation and processing No information can be given on war-related file losses. In 1964, G. Oehmigen and W. Thilo of the Department of Contemporary History of the Research Centre at the Deutsche Hochschule für Körperkultur Leipzig drew up a list of the files on loan to the NOK of the GDR based on a file plan available in the former Reichsarchiv. In the Central State Archives of the GDR, only the first half of the stock was recorded on index cards. A new indexing took place in 2005/2006 in the Federal Archives. Since the original file titles did not appear meaningful, new titles were created and supplemented by content notes. In addition, a new classification was developed, which is oriented to the tasks of the organizing committee. In connection with the redrawing by Mathis Leibetseder, Rouven Pons and Stefan Selbmann, a post-cassation was also carried out. Due to their low information value, order slips for admission tickets, invoices for telephone calls by individual employees, receipts for Olympic badges, health stamps and documents for the payment of citizen's tax for the employees of the organising committee were collected. The photographs of the Olympic Winter Games, the German Winter Sports Championships and other sports competitions found in the collection were removed and transferred to the picture archive of the Koblenz Office of the Federal Archives. Characterisation of content: General administration: personnel 1933-1937 (44), finances 1933-1939 (84), liquidation of the committee 1935-1937 (7); preparation of the winter games: Correspondence 1932-1936 (25), meetings 1932-1937 (35), reporting 1933-1937 (23), cooperation 1927-1936 (19), awards 1933-1937 (7), sports facilities 1932-1936 (54), notifications 1934-1936 (54), tickets 1933-1936 (35), foreign exchange, transport, logistics, accommodation 1934-1936 (17), tradesmen 1934-1936 (3); organization of competitions: Public and press work 1933-1936 (112), planning and execution 1921-1936 (5), festival and supporting programme 1933-1939 (6), ice, bobsleigh and skiing 1933-1936 (54), other competitions 1933-1935 (15) State of development: online find book (2006, 2007) Citation: BArch, R 8076/...

        Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Abt. Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, M 703 R975N7 · File
        Part of Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, Dept. Main State Archives Stuttgart (Archivtektonik)

        Execution: Photography Image carrier: Photo paper glued on cardboard Image and sheet size: 19 x 11 cm; 21.5 x 13.5 cm Remarks: from Marchtaler's estate, Otto Erhard, colonel general and minister of war, image slightly damaged