The Presidents of the State District of Baden: With the decree of the American military government of 13 July 1945, the emeritus literary scholar Prof. Dr. Karl Holl was appointed Chief President of the Landeskommissarbezirk Mannheim. His work remained limited in the first few weeks to Mannheim and the surrounding area. Karlsruhe was initially under French occupation. By reorganizing the French and American zones, the Americans extended Holl's sphere of competence to the Baden part of the newly formed state of Württemberg-Baden. On September 3, 1945, Holl was released in the course of an American denazification measure. On September 10 Dr. Heinrich Köhler was appointed. While the individual ministries of the state of Württemberg-Baden in Stuttgart communicated with the Württemberg authorities without intermediate authority, in the American zone of the Baden state territory the state district administration of Baden was interposed, with the exception of the organisation of the administration of justice, which consisted of five departments: President - Internal administration - Labour, social affairs and reconstruction - Cult and education - Finance. The documents of these departments were included in the files of the later Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe. With the death of Heinrich Köhler on 6 February 1949, the time of a full-time state district president in Baden was over. The position of state district president was only filled on a provisional basis. In this function, Gustav Zimmermann initially held office until his death on August 1, 1949. Until January 11, 1951, Dr. Edmund Kaufmann also served only briefly as provisional state district president. He was succeeded by Ministerial Director Dr. Hans Unser until his death on 27 November 1951. The last president was Dr. Hermann Veit. The formation of the state of Baden-Württemberg in 1952 with the establishment of the four administrative districts unified the administrative division in the new federal state. Tasks and powers of the President: The individual departments of the state district administration were responsible for the specialist tasks. The President, who was able to intervene in the competence of the departments, reserved the right to participate in all fundamental matters as well as in the appointment and promotion of civil servants. In March 1947 the course of business of the presidential office was reorganised. President Köhler reserved the right to sign in draft and in execution all decisions of fundamental and political importance, certain decisions in personnel matters, all matters reserved by the President for signing, all lectures to the State Ministry and letters to the Ministries in Stuttgart. In 1950, the then President Dr. Kaufmann reorganised his competences and tasks within the Baden district administration. He stressed that he should be involved in all administrative matters of fundamental, political and financial importance. In addition, all personnel matters of fundamental or political importance were reserved for the President. The other competences of the President are resolutions of fundamental, political, organisational and financial importance for the district of Baden or which affect the business activities of all the regional district directorates, complaints of official oversight, draft budget for information, notification of budget overruns of a certain amount, representation of the district administration in its entirety, certification of subsidies in excess of DM 200, publication of the official gazette of the district of Baden. Structure and organization of the Presidential Department: In 1947, the Presidential Department was divided into two departments: Department 1: Head of Service, Presidential Affairs, County Council Affairs, State Ministerial Affairs, Representation Affairs, Legal Affairs, Presidential Staff, Motor Affairs, Press Affairs, Official Gazette of the County Administration, Correspondence on more important matters and those of fundamental importance from Department 2. Unit 2: Civil servants' and salaried staff's rights and collective bargaining regulations for civil servants and public sector workers (general), appointment and dismissal of civil servants and recruitment of employees, right to travel and removal expenses (general), State budget matters, factual and personal expenditure of the Bureau, co-administration of representation matters, disposition funds, certifications (legalisation of documents), special mandates of the President, deputisation for Unit 1.A slightly different picture was provided by the business distribution plan of 5 May 1950. The tasks of the Presidential Office were now divided into three units. Unit 1 was called "President", Unit 2 "Legal Unit", Unit 3 "Human Resources and Budget Unit". Traditional history: The written records of the presidential office of the president of the state district of Baden are always singular if they were created within the exclusive competence of the personally small presidential office, i.e. for representation matters, contacts with the press, approval of support, various honours and partly in personnel matters. A typical feature of a large part of the files is the numerous newspaper clippings that they contained, which served to inform the President. This collection forms a unique source for the immediate post-war period. Not only does it document the structure of the German administration in the North Baden area and the beginnings of the new state structure in the German southwest, but it also reflects the misery and the manifold problems faced by the population, administration and politics in view of the catastrophic consequences of the war and the collapse, and the way in which they were coped with. The registry of the president of the Baden district filed the documents in accordance with the Badische Amtsregistraturordnung by H. Fackler (1905). The main headings of this classification were retained in the reorganisation of the stock. Further literature: The President of the State District of Baden (1945-1952). President's Office. Inventory of the holdings 481 in the General State Archive Karlsruhe. Edited by Jürgen Treffeisen, Stuttgart 1997 (Booklets of the State Archive Administration Baden-Württemberg. Published by the Landesarchivdirektion Baden-Württemberg. Series E General State Archive Karlsruhe Issue 1). Conversion of the finding aid: The inventory 481 was ordered and recorded by Dr. Jürgen Treffeisen in the years 1991 to 1993. He provided the finding aid book with a detailed account of the history of the authorities, which is still valid and on which the abridged explanations in this finding aid are based, and a detailed report by the editor. The inventory was printed in 1997. The indexing data for inventory 481 were transferred to the software ScopeArchiv as part of the project "Conversion of old finding aid data" of the General State Archive Karlsruhe, which was carried out by Guido Fögler in the years 2006-2008, in order to be able to produce an online finding aid from it. The project was supervised by Alexander Hoffmann, who - apart from very little remaining work by the undersigned - also took over the final editing of the converted finding aids. Because corrections had to be made and supplements inserted, the converted finding aid replaces the content of the old finding aid book from 1993 and the printed inventory from 1997.Karlsruhe, January 2011Dr. Martin Stingl
Inventar
7 Archival description results for Inventar
Description of holdings: Dept. 42 Gemeindearchiv Horchheim Scope: 107 archive boxes, 3 m Amtsbücher, 11 m Urk.z.Rechn. (923 units = 33 m) Duration: 1710 - 1945/72 Zur Ortsgeschichte Horchheim lies approx. four km southwest of Worms in the Eisbachtal. The village was first mentioned in a deed of donation in the Lorsch Codex in 766. The name of the place is derived from the word "horac" "swampy". The marshy valley, afflicted by the floods of the Eisbach, gave it its name. Horchheim had belonged to the high monastery of Worms since the early Middle Ages. Together with some surrounding villages Horchheim and Weinsheim belonged to the dominion of Stauf, which in the 12th century was under the rule of Counts of Eberstein, from 1215 the Counts of Zweibrücken and from 1378 by purchase to the Counts of Sponheim. In 1393 the dominion was inherited by the Counts of Nassau-Saarbrücken; the Electorate Palatinate and Nassau-Weilburg, who had also acquired rights in Horchheim over the years, were involved in an exchange contract in 1706, with which the village returned to the high monastery (until 1798). 1798 - 1814 French domination, from 1816 Grand Duchy and Volksstaat Hessen respectively; 1816 Canton Pfeddersheim, 1835 District Worms, 1848 Regierungsbezirk Mainz, 1850 Regierungsbezirk Worms, 1852 - 1942 District Worms, incorporation into Worms on 01.04.1942. The municipalities Horchheim and Weinsheim are closely connected in their history. In 1715 Weinsheim appears for the first time as an independent municipality with its own mayor. After 1792, Weinsheim was administered from Wiesoppenheim, while it had always been a church branch of Horchheim. Due to the close connection, files from Weinsheim are also part of the Horchheim collection. From the middle of the 16th to the beginning of the 17th century Horchheim was predominantly Protestant, since 1635 (until today predominantly Catholic) again (parish church Heilig-Kreuz, patronage and tenth right of the cathedral monastery). In 1496 about 200 inhabitants lived in Horchheim. By 1900 the population had grown to about 1,800 inhabitants, 7 of them Jews, and in 2002 it was 4,475 inhabitants. Worth mentioning are the charitable foundations in Horchheim: the Elendenbruderschaft, the Hospital Neuhausen and the branch of the Order of Merciful Sisters. The brotherhood of the wretched was established in 1448. In 1726 a new altar for the church was procured from the funds of the foundation and a contribution to the purchase of an organ was shown. The money from the interest was used to build and maintain the school building and to pay the school teachers, to care for the local poor and poor travellers and to pay the school fees for poor children. In 1824 the fund was placed under the control of the administrative commission of the Neuhausen Hospital by the provincial government in Mainz. In 1825, at the request of the Horchheim municipal council, the so-called brotherhood house with garden was auctioned off. The proceeds were used to build the new school and community centre. The Neuhausen Hospital was founded in 1729/30 by the bishop of Worms, Franz Ludwig von Pfalz-Neuburg (1694-1732) in the form of a foundation and equipped with rich property. In a document dated 22 August 1730 (Dept. 61 No. 112), the bishop bought the manor and former monastery Liebenau for 12,000 guilders with an associated mill and numerous possessions in order to guarantee the existence of the foundation. Before his death he bequeathed a large part of his assets to the foundation to complete the newly built hospital building so that the Pfründner could finally move in. At the beginning of the French period (1798), when the buildings were destroyed, they were converted into a civil hospital, which was united with other hospitals in the canton of Pfeddersheim. By decree of 1801 the Hospital Neuhausen regained its independence and its name. Horchheim was chosen as the seat of the foundation, which was chaired by the mayor of Horchheim. Furthermore, the 14 member municipalities on the left bank of the Rhine were defined, whose citizens benefited from the funds and whose envoys formed the Administrative Commission. These were: Beindersheim, Bobenheim, Dirmstein, Hettenheim, Leidelheim (later Hettenleidelheim), Horchheim, Laumersheim, Mörsch, Neuhausen, Neuleinigen, Rheindürkheim, Roxheim, Weinsheim and Wiesoppenheim. In 1855, a revised monastery statute came into force, which was replaced by a new statute in 1948. The former hospital - under the supervision of the hospital commission on the basis of a hospital property consisting of agricultural land in 20 local markings in and around Worms - still exists today as a foundation. As a result of the incorporation into Worms on 01.04.1942, the archival material was added to the city archives in 1943 (cf. tax register of the municipality of Horchheim, Dept. 20 No. 22). On 17.03.2004 the city archive took over the remaining files, which had been kept in the municipality. The inventory was already indexed by a preliminary list (rough drawing). Distortion began in March 2008. The duration, the structure of which corresponds to the registration plan of 1908, ranges from (1614) 1710 to 1972. Particularly worth mentioning are the Horchheimer Flur- und Güterbuch with border description of the district of Horchheim from 1710-1773 (no. 0043) as well as the Schatzungsbuch 1710-1798 (no. 0001); Gerichtsprotokoll über Tausch-, Kauf- und Verkaufsgeschäfte 1769-1791, Vormundschaften 18. (alph.); stock book, renovation protocol 1753; renovation of the Korngülte of the Andreasstift (Perg. Urk. 1614), various renovations and Gülten of the 18th century. With the inhabitant maps are excerpts from the birth, marriage, punishment and death registers, offerings, church exits for the period from 1853 to 1972 (use after arrangement). As an almost complete series, the Mayor's Office invoices and the corresponding documents, in which plans for the construction of the school building, 1827, (No. 793/2), situation plan for the supervision or approval of new buildings on the lower eastward part of the village of Horchheim, 1847 (No. 793/2), are presented, are almost complete (No. 793/2). 322), draft for the construction of the bridge over the Eisbach at the lower mill at Horchheim, 1846 (No. 802/4) as well as cost estimates for the construction of a mortuary, catering and quartering of the troops. The local companies are also important: Pfeiffer
BestandsgeschichteThe 2668 indexing units recorded in this repertory form only a fragment of the original registry of the Consistory, albeit a very considerable one, as it was before the authority moved to Düsseldorf in 1934. With the help of the surviving handwritten and typewritten file indexes, the losses and relocations that occurred can be reconstructed exactly. The chronology spans more than forty years:I) As early as 1931, extensive file holdings were catalysed within the consistory. The basis for this decision, which was made due to an acute shortage of space in the Koblenz office building, was a list drawn up in 1929 by Consistorial Chief Inspector Mähler ('Sale of files for destruction'). Fascicle A II 1 a 9 (no. 28) provides summarised information on the file groups concerned:- Travel expenses (A II 1 b 2 and 5) until 1920- Office requirements (A II 1 b 3) until 1920- Forms (A II 2 31) until 1920- Publication of the official gazette (A II 2 35) until 1920- Accounting for the official gazette (A II 2 37) until 1915- Invoices incl. receipts for the church gazette (A II 1 b 2 and 5) until 1920- Invoices for the church gazette (A II 2 37) until 1915. Invoices incl. receipts for the church's ancillary funds until 1910- Collections until 1910- Collection receipts until 1920- Collections relating to applications for parish positions until 1925 Applications for parish positions up to 1925- Business diaries up to 1900- Budget files up to 1905- Property files up to 1905- Supplementary files up to 1905- Religious orders for clergy (B V a 14) up to 1910- Support for clergy and parish widows (B V b 29 u. 86) until 1910- Grants of leave for clergymen (B V b 64) until 1910- Contributions to the parish widows' and pension fund (B V b 89f.) until 1910- Pension fund accounts (B V b 93f.) until 1910- Remarks on pensions and widows' and orphans' allowances for clergymen (B V b 91 and 95) until 1910- Allowances from the subsidy fund (B V b 104) until 1910- Instructions on retirement allowances for clergymen (B V b 105) until 1910- Insurance contributions to the retirement allowance fund (B V b 106) until 1910- Employment of vicars from the vicariate fund (B VII b 19) until 1905- Teaching vicariate of the candidates (B VII b 17) until 1910- Cash matters of the vicariate fund (B VII b 20) until 1910II) In September 1934 - immediately before the move to Düsseldorf - the following files were destroyed for reasons of space according to a note by Mähler: - old diaries up to 1914- old budget files up to 1915- old files on pensions, widow's benefits etc. up to 1920- old files on support payments up to 1920 until 1920- old files on support for clergy and parish widows- old files on the awarding of commemorative marriage coins- old files on the house collection delivery fund until 1910- old files on 'Miscellaneous'- old files on the publication of the church gazette until 1920- old files on the assignment of teaching vicars up to 1925- old collections on collection proceeds up to 1920- old files on church taxes up to 1905- old annual reports of the superintendents up to 1932The files of the Cologne Consistory, which was dissolved in 1825, were also transferred to the Düsseldorf State Archives in 1934 and survived the war. In today's Main State Archives, this collection with a total of 512 volumes (duration 1786-1838, mainly 1815-1826) is assigned to Department 2 (Rheinisches Behördenarchiv). (4) A parallel transfer of 525 files from the period 1816-1827 was made to the Koblenz State Archives, where they formed fonds 551. Unfortunately, this was completely burnt during the air raids on Koblenz in 1944. The same fate befell fonds 443 (Fürstlich Wiedische Regierung in Neuwied), into which some consistorial files were integrated under nos. 143-161. Only the finding aids of these two fonds are still available in the Landeshauptarchiv Koblenz. Further consistorial files were assigned to the following fonds:Fonds 309, 1 (French General Consistory Mainz) No. 1-17Fonds 381 (St. Wendel State Commission) No. 17-33Fonds 382 (St. Wendel Government) No. 420-502Fonds 387 (Landgravial Hessian Government Homburg) No. 187-295The fonds 309, 1 and 387 are still in the LHA Koblenz, the other two are now on permanent loan to the Landesarchiv Saarbrücken.III) In 1936-1937, after lengthy negotiations with the Staatsarchiv Koblenz, the consistorial files in the narrower sense, which began in 1826ff. and had initially also been handed over, were returned to the Provinzialkirchenarchiv. The latter had been located in Bonn since 1928 and had had its own premises at Hofgarten 13 since 1936. There is a 46-page compilation of these extensive holdings by Lic. Rodewald from 1938. (5) These are predominantly the older files from the 19th century, but also, for example, the documents from the 1914-1918 war period; in any case, these were files that were still considered to be of purely historical value and were deemed to be dispensable for business operations.IV) On 14 November 1939, the consistory issued a circular to the superintendents about the possibility of handing over the examination papers of deceased pastors to family members. The background to this was a request from the now provincial church archivist Lic. Rosenkranz, who sought to alleviate the acute shortage of space in the Hofgarten. It initially lists 31 pastors whose documents had already been sought out by Rosenkranz. (6) The examination papers that had not been requested were then to be destroyed in February 1940. The action was continued eight more times until February 1943, when it fell victim to the war-related restrictions in the consistory's operations. (7) The only condition for requesting files was to send in 50 pfennigs return postage. A total of 908 pastors were listed. It is not possible to ascertain which documents were actually requested back by the families and thus saved from later destruction.V) On 12 November 1943, the Koblenz State Archive Director Dr Hirschfeld, in his capacity as air raid warden, asked the Consistory to remove the files stored in Düsseldorf (8). This was rejected on the grounds that the (current) personnel files were already located in an air-raid shelter recognised as bomb-proof; structural safety measures would now be carried out immediately for the remaining files. These are documented in a cost estimate from architect Otto Schönhagen, the head of the provincial church building office, dated 10 December 1943: The registry facing Freiligrathstraße is to be fitted with protective walls for a modest 720 Reichsmarks. It can be assumed that these alterations were realised at the beginning of 1944. In any case, the files remaining at the consistory itself survived the war without any recognisable losses.VI) On the other hand, the building at Hofgarten 13 was completely destroyed in the air raid on Bonn on 18 October 1944. The fire had reached the cellar so quickly that both the older personnel files of the pastors and the consistorial files brought back from Koblenz in 1937 were completely lost. In contrast to the old pertinent holdings of the provincial church archives and the church records, these holdings were not removed from storage. This is by far the greatest loss that the original consistorial records have suffered, especially in the 19th century. It can be quantified as around 400-600 volumes of subject files (generalia and specialia) and an even higher number of personal files. In this repertory, the previous volumes that were burnt are listed under the heading 'Remarks'; the frequently occurring skip numbers in the inventory signatures indicate the complete loss of a file. A detailed reconstruction of the holdings destroyed in Bonn - which is entirely possible - would require a comparison of Rodewald's list with the available handwritten indexes of files. Fortunately, to a certain extent there is a replacement in the form of the files of the Oberpräsidium der Rheinprovinz in the LHA Koblenz. (9) Important material that is otherwise not available in Düsseldorf is also contained in the Rhine Province section of fonds 7 (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat) in the EZA Berlin. (10)VI) On 24 February 1972, the regional church office decided to transfer the files of the former consistory to the regional church archives, which was long overdue. (11) Until then, they had been regarded as registry property - despite the fact that some of them dated back to 1826 - and were also administered by the registry. As a general pruning of the registry also took place in 1971 in connection with the move to the new LKA office building in Hans-Böckler-Straße, the special files of the church districts and parishes were subsequently removed from the consistorial files and combined into separate holdings (31 church districts and 41 local files). Unfortunately, the separation was not complete, so that a considerable number of files still remained in the consistorial holdings. In this repertory it is always noted when the subsequent volumes are in fonds 31 or 41. Conversely, in the typewritten finding aids for these two fonds, it is noted which previous volumes can be found in the consistorial files.Usage informationThe following printed file plan of the Consistorial Chancellery dates back to the 19th century and was updated until the 1940s. The indication 'n.a.' (no files available) for individual subgroups may indicate complete loss due to the effects of war. As a rule, however, the files in question have been removed as outlined above and added to newly formed fonds. This also applies to all personnel files. In addition to the indexing units listed here, there are also the 90 surviving business diaries for the period 1928-1948, for which no archival cataloguing aids have existed to date. A typewritten alphabetical subject index of the existing files, compiled in 1931 by the registrar's office at the time, was available, albeit without any duration information. Two further large handwritten indexes of files were initially written in one hand around 1850 and then updated over a period of almost 100 years. (12) Many of the files listed there have since been lost. Nevertheless, the two indexes continue to be of great significance, as they indicate the file transfers and resignations within the consistorial registry and only with them is it possible to reconstruct the lost holdings. The undersigned has compared the contents of these records. It was not possible to completely standardise their extremely different levels of indexing intensity. The present repertory is therefore not 'from a single mould'. The index of this printed version only includes the names of places and persons as well as a few selected subject headings. A complete keyword search is possible via the database of the EKiR archive. the files of the consistory cover almost all facets of church life in the Rhine Province. The records for the period of the Weimar Republic and the Nazi regime up to 1945 are almost completely preserved. In contrast, the files from the First World War, for example, are largely lost, not to mention the often rudimentary records from the 19th century. From the scholarly use to date, one cannot help but get the impression that the latent mistrust of wide ecclesiastical circles in the Rhineland towards this authority has been reflected in research since its foundation. In addition, there may have been an understandable aversion towards individual consistory employees who were involved in the church struggle. In many recent works, at any rate, reference is still made to contemporary historical collections and quite relevant bequests without taking the original official records into consideration, and it is to be hoped that a relaxed - and of course never uncritical - approach to this highly informative material will enrich our knowledge of the Protestant church history of the Rhineland. Düsseldorf, 31 October 2001(Dr. Stefan Flesch)1 Cf. on the following Max Bär: Die Behördenverfassung der Rheinprovinz seit 1815 (Publikationen der Gesellschaft für Rheinische Geschichtskunde 35), Bonn 1919 (ND Meisenheim 1965), pp. 153-164; Werner Heun: Art. Konsistorium, in: TRE vol. XIX, pp. 483-488; on the general ecclesiastical law and ecclesiastical politics, see Die Geschichte der Evangelischen Kirche der Union, ed. by J.F.Gerhard Goeters and Joachim Rogge, Leipzig 1992-1999, passim2. On this Bär, op. cit. p. 162: 'The governments were left only with the supervision of the church registers, the care for the establishment and maintenance of the churchyards, the ordering and enforcement of the police regulations necessary for the maintenance of external church order, the supervision of the administration of assets and the appointment or confirmation of the secular church servants to be employed for the administration of church assets and the supervision of them and, together with the consistory, the modification of existing and introduction of new stolgebührentaxes and the modification of existing and formation of new parish districts. '3 Today's address: Konrad-Adenauer-Ufer 12 Cf. history of the city of Koblenz vol. 2, Stuttgart 1993, p. 426f.4 The holdings of the North Rhine-Westphalian Main State Archives. Brief overview, Düsseldorf 1994, p. 98. A 30-page compilation of the files handed over can be found in A II 1 a 9 vol. I.5. B I a 29 vol. IV6. Circular no. 11073 in B I a 29 vol. IV, in alphabetical order: Heinrich Wilhelm Achelis; Hugo Achenbach (+1908); Julius Achenbach (+1893); August Bergfried (+1922); Friedrich Wilhelm Rudolf Böhm (+1867); Emil Döring (+1925); Georg Doermer (+1888); Heinrich Doermer (+1839); August Ludwig Euler (+1911); Karl Furck (+1911); Gustav Adolf Haasen (+1841); Julius Haastert; Philipp Jakob Heep (+1899); Gustav Höfer; Paul Kind; Karl Margraf (+1919); Daniel Gottlieb Müller (+1892); Andreas Natrop (+1923); Christian Friedrich Nelson (+1891); August Penserot (+1866); Reinhard Potz (+1920); Eduard Schneegans (b. 1810); Philipp Jakob Stierle (+1887); Eduard Vieten (+1869); Josef August Voigt (+1869); Johann Gustav Volkmann (+1842); Reinhard Vowinkel (+1898); Friedrich Weinmann (+1860); Friedrich Wenzel (+1909); Gustav Wienands (+1929)7 Ibid. March 1940 (48 names), November 1940 (33 names), September 1941 (47 names), February 1942 (123 names), July 1942 (118 names), October 1942 (128 names), November 1942 (176 names), February 1943 (204 names)8 A II 1 a 9 vol. I (vol. no. 28). Cf. on the overall problem the article by Petra Weiß: Die Bergung von Kulturgütern auf der Festung Ehrenbreitstein, in: Jahrbuch für Westdeutsche Landesgeschichte 26 (2000), pp. 421-4529. Cf. Inventar des Bestandes Oberpräsidium der Rheinprovinz, Teil 1 (Veröffentlichungen der Landesarchivverwaltung Rheinland-Pfalz Bd. 71), Koblenz 1996, pp. 42-45 and 396-40910. Christa Stache: Das Evangelische Zentralarchiv in Berlin und seine Bestände, Berlin 1992, pp. 61-64 as well as a handwritten repertory especially of the Rhineland department (copy available in the AEKR Düsseldorf). The fonds comprise approx. 25 linear metres.11 LKA-Sachakten 23-2-3 Bd. 3 (Beschluss); cf. also the letter from Archivrat Schmidt dated 9 September 1971 in 22-28 Bd. 212. All the finding aids mentioned are kept in the repertory collection of the Landeskirchliches Archiv.
Inventory description: Dept. 159 Herrnsheimer Dalberg-Archiv (files, official books) Size: 1943 units of description (= 27 lfm = 201 archive cartons, 2 large cartons, 2 lfm oversized formats - own inventory: 1878 VE, remainder in Heylshof = 64 VE, with sub-VE in total) 2015) Duration: 1445 - 1866 Zur Familie und Herrschaft Dalberg (Note 1) The family of the chamberlains of Worms, later called 'von Dalberg', belonged as an influential family association to the episcopal ministry of Worms. Since 1239 she held the hereditary office of the chamberlain of Worms; this was later associated with economic-financial privileges in Worms, court rights and the Jewish Court in Worms. Since the 14th century, the family has succeeded in expanding various ownership complexes between Niederelsass and Hunsrück, with a focus on Wormsgau. This also includes the expansion of power in the towns of Herrnsheim and Abenheim, which began in the 14th century, through the acquisition of feudal rights and property (2). The dominion complex with Herrnsheim and Abenheim was predominantly surrounded by Electoral Palatinate territory. Around 1460 a castle was erected in Herrnsheim (castle) and a surrounding wall was built around the village; between 1470 and 1492 a chapel of the local parish church of St. Peter was converted into a burial place, which has led to the development of the situation of a small residential town in Herrnsheim, which can still be seen today from the buildings and the townscape. Today's Herrnsheim Castle, owned by the town of Worms since 1958, was built together with the important English landscape garden in two construction phases from 1808 to 1814 and from 1820 to 1824. The dominion of Dalberg is a typical middle imperial knighthood territory. Since the late Middle Ages, the Dalberg dynasty had provided the fiefdoms of the Electorate of Mainz and Palatinate and held important ecclesiastical offices, including the bishop of Worms, Johann von Dalberg (1445-1503). The family split into different lines and branches. Outstanding persons for whom the collection contains material are Carl Theodor von Dalberg (1744-1817, Elector of Mainz, Grand Duke of Frankfurt); Wolfgang Heribert von Dalberg (1750-1806, Minister of State in Mannheim, Director of the National Theatre); Johann Friedrich Hugo von Dalberg (1760-1812, bishop and humanist); Emmerich Joseph Duc de Dalberg (1773-1833, diplomat and politician). In 1883 John Dalberg-Acton sold Herrnsheim Castle with all its interior and the park from his family's estate to Cornelius Wilhelm Heyl (Cornelius Wilhelm Freiherr von Heyl zu Herrnsheim), a leather industrialist from Worms, due to financial shortages (3). Thus also the library stored there and the documents and files of the Herrnsheimer Dalberg Archive of the previous owners were transferred to the buyer. After the death of his father in 1923, D. Dr. jur. Cornelius Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim took over the castle, which he officially moved into in April 1929 (4). In the years of the Second World War the documents were relocated several times for safety reasons and probably suffered incomprehensible, but rather smaller losses (5). Until it was converted into an apartment, the Dalberg Archive was housed in a special archive room locked with an iron door in the castle, then in the library in the tower room on the first floor. When Siegfried Freiherr von Heyl zu Herrnsheim, son of D. Dr. jur. Cornelius Frhr. Heyl zu Herrnsheim, sold the castle to the city of Worms in July 1958 (6), the documents, files and official books of the Dalberg archive kept in boxes and bundles were not part of the sale. However, it was to be left on loan to the town on the basis of an agreement with the community of heirs (in autumn 1959) and an inventory was to be taken before a corresponding contract was concluded (7). This work was done by Carl J. H. Villinger (8), who handed over his summary list with the disaggregation to Dr. Georg Illert on 3.7.1964 (9). The draft of the loan contract was completed to the satisfaction of both parties at the end of 1965, so that there was nothing to prevent it from being concluded the following year. On 19 July 1966, lawyer H. Ramge, in his capacity as joint executor of the will, surprisingly approached the city with the offer that it could purchase the Dalberg Archive and the library holdings of Herrnsheim Palace from the estate of D. Dr. jur. Cornelius Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim (10). With the support of the Landesarchivverwaltung Koblenz, which prepared an expert opinion on the basis of Villinger's list, the value was determined and one year later - in July 1967 - the documents were sold to the city. Thus, the Dalberg Archive, which according to the decree of the Prime Minister of Rhineland-Palatinate of 13.7.1961 had been entered into the state register of nationally valuable archives, could remain in Worms as a closed collection (11). A more detailed inventory should then be made, which was completed before the archive was moved to the city archive for security reasons. Villinger had compiled a detailed list of the contents of the 39 archive boxes, the qualitative condition of which was indicated from good to partly very poor, and of the remaining archive documents (12). On the basis of this list of Villingers, the lack of various documents and files as well as individual letters from correspondence series and gaps in official book series could be ascertained (13). In 1980 Siegfried Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim handed over 14 sealed parchment documents and in 1985 his daughter, Mrs. Cornelia von Bodenhausen, another 72, partly decorative documents from the former possession of the treasurers of Worms Freiherr von Dalberg to the Foundation Kunsthaus Heylshof (14). The documents kept there were examined with the consent of the then Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Frhr. Ludwig von Heyl, as part of the project for the Dalberg Regestensammlung under the auspices of Hess. Staatsarchivs Darmstadt microfilmed in Darmstadt in 1985 and included in the Regestenwerk (15). The further written material lying in the Heylshof such as files, correspondence etc. could be taken into account in the preparation of the present repertory (16). Some files, which were offered at an auction in Heidelberg in 1984, could be bought with the support of the Altertumsverein Worms (17). Also in 1994, with the financial support of the Kulturfonds der Wormser Wirtschaft, the city was able to acquire 23 official and accounting books from private sources, which were added to the collection. With the help of this material, gaps in existing series could be closed again. Among these acquisitions was also the inventory "Verzeichnis der Urkunden, Schriftstücke etc. des Kämmerer-Dalbergarchivs Schloß Herrnsheim...", compiled in 1919 by Heyl's librarian and archivist Wilhelm Graf, in which he [until then] had only recorded the documents (18). For the use and recording of the Dept. 159 This inventory, Dept. 159, comprises the Herrnsheimer Dalberg Archive (files and official books), which, together with the other inventories, Dept. 159-U Herrnsheimer Dalberg Archive (documents) and Dept. 159-P Dalberg Plan Collection, comprises the entire collection of the archive of the chamberlains of Worms Freiherr von Dalberg, formerly kept in the Herrnsheimer Palace. As a complex aristocratic archive within the holdings of the Worms City Archive, it is of supra-regional importance. It reflects the work of a knightly aristocratic family with its lordly function and family ties. After the takeover of the material by the city of Worms in 1967, the directory prepared by C. J. H. Villinger served as a finding aid for years. In the archive, the bundles and official books of No. 1 - No. 428 were numbered consecutively and recorded in a corresponding list. While the documents (No. 1 - No. 323, plus sub-numbers (19)) already registered in 1919 by the Heyl's librarian and archivist Wilhelm Graf in document folders with numbers and title entries were initially easy to use, the files and folders with short titles and box numbers contained in the remaining archive boxes were relatively reliably findable, but only vaguely citable due to missing individual signatures. After in the 1980s the processing of the Dalbergian document holdings in Darmstadt, Worms (Stadtarchiv, Heylshof, Pfarrarchiv Herrnsheim) and in other archives had been implemented under the auspices of the Hessisches Staatsarchiv Darmstadt, a more precise indexing of the files was started as a further project (20). Dr. Jürgen Rainer Wolf of the Hessisches Staatsarchiv Darmstadt processed the documents kept in the other archive boxes of the Worms Dalberg Archive, which were brought to Darmstadt for this purpose. However, only a part of the boxes (21) was opened, and each box was given a number with sub-numbers separated by slashes for the individual pieces contained therein. However, the work did not come to a conclusion. With immediate effect Wolf's finding aid, which also included official book series, had to be used in addition to the directory compiled by Villinger (22). From then on, the use of the holdings was regarded as a particular challenge, especially since there was also a link between the holdings of documents and files. This was because, at the time of the document project, the comprehensive record of documents also included the documents lying dormant in the files, the location of which was then not reliable or only difficult to secure (23). At the beginning of 2011, due to the unsatisfactory usability of the inventory on the one hand and due to the discontinuous and inconsistent depth of distortion on the other hand, the complete new distortion of the file inventory was decided and completed in October 2012. The signatures should not be changed completely, but as many as possible should be preserved and the link with existing old signatures by means of concordance should of course be guaranteed. The titles were recorded directly in the Augias archive program, at the same time the documents were embedded in acid-free archive folders and boxes. "The numbering of the convolutes was retained as signatures and, if necessary, sub-numbers separated by slashes were assigned as soon as the mostly extensive fascicles contained various individual folders. "The official records retained their signatures. "The Wolf's units of description with their signatures (no. 430/1ff - no. 440/1ff) were taken over, sifted through and the existing title recordings were deepened and supplemented on the basis of the newly recorded pieces. "Documents (24) possibly in the files, which were considered in the Dalberger Regesten volumes, were seized with the title admission both over the old signature, and usually with reference to the sequential number in the second volume of the Dalberger Regesten (25). "The further archive boxes not yet taken up by Wolf were continued and listed according to the given pattern, i.e. each further archive box received a new number (No. 442ff (26)) and the individual files, folders etc. preserved therein were provided with sub-numbers, separated by a slash. "The unlisted material found at the end of the inventory was then added with consecutive signatures. "The Dalberg letters purchased on various occasions in the 1970s, mainly letters from Carl Theodor von Dalberg, which had been integrated into the collection at the time, also remained with the new indexing in Dept. 159. " The documents kept at Kunsthaus Heylshof were recorded and selected pieces digitized (27). The digital copies were integrated in the Worms Municipal Archives into the collection of Dept. 159, since the pieces of their provenance can be attributed to the former Herrnsheim Dalberg Archive. In the case of the originals, the signatures of the city archives were noted, while the numbering used in the Heylshof (28) was recorded as an "old signature" in the title recording. This enables targeted access to the originals at Heylshof if required. "Within the scope of the registration work also the files of Dept. 159 N were dissolved (29) and inserted into Dept. 159 (now Dept. 159 No. 852 - No. 884). These are files, correspondence and family papers (mainly on the Petersau donation and the Tascher affair), which obviously also belonged to the Dalberg Archive in the past. These once formed the inventory of Dept. 158 of Dalberg, which must have existed before 1967, about its origin, i.e. (pre-)provenance before transfer into the archive, but no information is available. During the title recording it became apparent that the inventory did not have a coherent structure and that the development of a system would only make sense after completion of the work. The classification was finally drawn up on the basis of the main points of content. The assignment of each individual unit of description to the corresponding classification group then took place in a final work step, after the completion of which a real overview of the contents of the present tradition and its meaning in its entirety could be obtained. Contents The documents that were last kept in the library tower of Herrnsheim Castle before being transferred to the Worms City Archives essentially comprise archival documents relating to the Herrnsheim Dalberg Line. By the marriage (oo 12.1.1771) Wolfgang Heribert von Dalbergs with Elisabetha Augusta nee Ulner von Dieburg (30) as well as by connections of the Dalberger with other families further document and file material was added. The collection of Dept. 159 as part of the Herrnsheimer Dalberg Archive comprises the file and official book tradition, the temporal focus of which clearly lies in the 18th and the first half of the 19th century. The early material (from 1249) is mostly copies of documents. A copy in which a large number of documents were recorded between 1249 and 1469 (31) deserves special mention here. Temporal "runaways" in the 20th century came about through subsequent additions to the holdings. On the one hand, various correspondences and records had been added sporadically at the time of the von Heyl family (32) and on the other hand, in connection with the purchase of Dalberg letters, the corresponding correspondence had been left with the letters (33). The most closed collection within the Dept. 159 is the archive material dating back to Emmerich Joseph von Dalberg (1773-1833). Due to the fact that with him the Herrnsheimer Dalberg line died out in the male tribe, after the death of his father Wolfgang Heribert all administrative matters of the Herrnsheimer line and after the death of his uncle Carl Theodor von Dalberg as his universal heir were incumbent upon him the order and administration of his inheritance including the Regensburg endowment. Furthermore and especially in Dept. 159 there is the diplomatic estate of the Duc de Dalberg with numerous memoirs, correspondence and rich material (targeted collection, own records etc.) on the (foreign) policy of France and other European countries. In addition, its business activities are richly reflected, not least in the activities of the Paravey Bank.
Description of holdings: Abt. 40 Gemeindearchiv Herrnsheim (before 1945) Scope: 307 archive cartons 2 lfm Amtsbücher (= 2538 units = 49 lfm) Duration: 1445 - 1945 The preface to the present holdings Abt. 40 - Gemeindearchiv Herrnsheim (bis 1945) - des Stadtarchivs Worms is intended to give a brief insight into the development of the registry and archive material on the one hand at the time of its safekeeping in the Bürgermeistei Herrnsheim, and on the other hand since its takeover by the city of Worms. Subsequently, the indexing work is explained, with reference to special features and supplementary holdings. A short outline of the local history is sent in advance in the wording of the inventory overview of the Stadtar-chiv Worms, literature references to deepen the information on the local history can be found as an appendix to this foreword. I. About the local history about four km northwest of Worms; first mentioned in documents in 771; after the chamberlains of Worms (gen. von Dalberg, knightly family) had further enlarged their property in the village im-mer and extended their rights, they received it in 1375 as a fief (de facto rule in the village, market and court); Philipp Kämmerer von Worms made the village his residence: around 1460 construction of a castle on the site of today's castle, at the same time fortification of the village; 1470-92 reconstruction of a chapel of the parish church St. Peter (with numerous altars, patronage: monastery St. Peter's Abbey); 1470-92 conversion of a chapel of the parish church St. Peter (with numerous altars, patronage: monastery St. Peter's Abbey St. Peter's Abbey St. Peter's Abbey St. Peter's Abbey St. Peter's Abbey St. Peter's Abbey). Cyriakus/Neuhausen) to the family grave (thus situation of a small residence, which is well readable from a structural point of view until today); 1581 introduction of the reformation by Kurpfalz, 1635 extensive cremation of the place, Dalbergische local rule up to the end of the old empire; around 1900 approx. 2100 inhabitants; 1798-1814 French rule, from 1816 Grand Duchy and/or Volksstaat Hessen; 1816 Kanton Pfeddersheim, 1835 Kreis Worms, 1848 Regierungsbezirk Mainz, 1850 Regierungsbezirk Worms, 1852 - 1942 Kreis Worms; incorporation into Worms on 1.4.1942. II. municipal registry and archive In 1826, in accordance with the government decree of 25.7.1826, a register of the collections of laws, ordinances and instructions available in the Herrnsheim archive was compiled. The archive was refurbished in 1830/31 in connection with the construction of the new community centre. New furniture was commissioned and manufactured, including a filing cabinet for the archive and another for the mayor's office. Also the receipt of the Wwe. Ph. Ch. Schöneck from Worms of 20.4.1831 about 12 guilders and 19 cruisers for the repair of 28 steep cartons for the Bürgermeisterei-Archiv in Herrnsheim gives an insight into the file storage in Herrnsheim. On 30 October 1830, a circular was sent to all the provincial mayor's offices concerning the management of the files, concerning the "Order of the Provincial Municipal Archives". It is demanded that the official documents be sorted according to the aforementioned headings, that the files be sorted chronologically according to objects until 1830, then stored in cardboard boxes or cupboards in closed premises. The latter requirements were met - as explained above - in the new furnishing of the community centre. According to the circular, all receipts should be attached and the collection completed by 1 February of each year. On 27 March 1838 Mr. Völcker was commissioned by the district council to revise the municipal registry in Herrnsheim. In accordance with the registration plan for the mayors, he should inspect and arrange the documents on site and only receive his fees if he has completed this work in accordance with the regulations. Obviously this was not the case, because on July 26, 1838 the county council of Staedel assigned Mr. Peth from Bermersheim with the order of the municipal registry in Herrnsheim. A further inventory, which now also includes the files, was created for the community of Herrnsheim - presumably between 1905 and 1910 for valuation for insurance purposes. In the care of the mayor were an archive cabinet, two large file cabinets, a small file cabinet and an old file box. In addition to official and legal gazettes, various ordinances, handbooks and technical literature, 56 fascicles, the value of which could not be determined, are listed for the registry plan groups I - XXVI. In the following, numerous fascicles are listed both with details regarding assignment to the registry plan, duration and evaluation. Particularly noteworthy are e.g. the fair protocol book of 1716, guardianship bills and wills etc. 1699-1821, official and court protocols 1778-1798, fire register 1817, 1835 and 1848 as well as a new one. Also a local building plan (3 sheets), which is no longer available after current distortion, is proven in this inventory, estimated at 200 Marks. It should also be noted that there were several murals in the town hall, the Duke Dalberg, Emperor Wilhelm I, Emperor Wilhelm II and the Empress as well as members of the hess. Grand Duke's family, there were also other pictures, one, the volcanic eruptions showed another, the battlefield around Metz. The files mentioned in this inventory, which the registrar kept, seem to be available except for the volume listed here Birth, marriage and death registers 1780-1798. The next overview of the municipal archive Herrnsheim is provided in 1937 by Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Becker with his compilation of the inventories of the municipal archives of the district Worms. Here Prof. Henkelmann from Bensheim checked the existence of the community Herrnsheim and according to the file groups of the hess. The registry plan of 1908 is summarized. It should be noted that the oldest pieces mentioned here, e.g. the Morgenbuch (1626-1666; Dept. 40 No. 370), the Verordnungsbuch des Franz Heinrich Käm-merer von Worms Frhr. v. Dalberg (from 1742; Dept. 40 No. 1), the instrument of those at Neuhau-sen, about the provision of two Geharnischter at Herrnsheim (1445, no. 5), baker's order of 1736 (copy, dept. 40 no. 371) as well as further pieces already listed above in the inventory at the beginning of the 20th century, e.g. the fair protocol book, official and court records. In October 1914, the decree book of Franz Heinrich Kämmerer v. Dalberg as well as the instrument of those of Neuhausen were made available for use by the Grand Ducal Hessian House and State Archive in Darmstadt on behalf of the former Referendar Müller. Note: It is noticeable that the municipal council minutes are not available as a complete series, the earliest protocol book even only in 1836 begins. It is to be assumed and in comparison to other church archives as unusual to notice that this volume was at all the first protocol volume for Herrnsheim. It was acquired on 3 May 1836 alongside various other registers. According to the inventory (see above) three volumes were available at the beginning of the 20th century (1836/40, 1856/75 and 1875 ff), the pieces were valued at 90 marks. At least for the absence of a ribbon an explanation could be found in the files. The former mayor Brandt refused the publication of the protocol book in 1856. In 1986, the city archives once again attempted to investigate the failure of the municipal council records between 1840 and 1919, but the then head of the town Josef Wolf had to fit as well. There is also a gap in the series of municipal accounts with the corresponding volumes of deeds between 1924 and 1940. For the years after 1940, the accounts as well as the accounts and the corresponding documents of the Geschwister-Zimmer-Siftung for the period between 1921 and 1941/42 are missing. The loss of some files or the one or the other transaction can be explained by the fact that it happened that these were lost during the loan e.g. to the district office in Worms. For this reason, Herrnsheim refused to hand over correspondence with Freiherr Heyl'schen Güterverwaltung concerning the question of space for the fire station of the fire brigade to the Hessian Building Department in Worms. On his cover letter it was noted: did not happen, otherwise the files (like so many before already) would not be findable any more one day. In order to prevent the loss or destruction of files by air raids, Martin Fell and his wife were requested by the local administration on 21.9.1942 to secure important documents every evening and to salvage the files in the event of damage to the town hall caused by air raids. On 29.4.1943, in the course of the incorporation of Herrnsheim, the files were first transferred to the cellar of the Cornelianum in Worms. On the basis of the different file aprons the different used Regist-raturplans can be recognized, first 1836, then 1908 and finally after 1942 (with the inscription 'Stadtverwal-tung Worms'). Some file covers were preserved as samples in abbot 40 no. 2532 - no. 2534). For the fascicles belonging to the classification group XXI.09. Dalbergische Grundstücksangelegenheiten, the file aprons have inscriptions similar to those shown for files in Dept. 159. III. listing The written material taken over in the course of the incorporation 1943 was registered in the 70iger years after the Bär'schen principle, whereby as a rule the titles of the office books and minutes as well as those after the hess. file plans from 1836 or 1908 on the file aprons were taken over traditional inscriptions. This first registration work originally comprised 371 units, whereby the last registered units (from no. 331) were supplemented at later dates and comprised a running time until 1966. On 24 June 1971, the then District Court Director Dr. Heinz Pfannebecker handed over 12 documents to the City Archives, which obviously originated from the provenance of the Herrnsheim Mayor's Office. Most recently, in 2002, title recordings of sources from the still unlisted partial stock were made in connection with Volker Brecher's work on the war economy in Worms. Here, files were taken into account that were thematically related to prisoners of war, foreigners, etc. for the period between 1938 and 1950. In the inventory of Dept. 40, which had already been recorded, a few files exclusively with the term after 1945 were taken into account in the first registration. These were segregated and returned with the still unlisted part of the stock, which also included files after 1945, in order to be processed later in connection with Dept. 6 Municipality of Worms (after 1945). Since individual files may have already been used under their old signature, a list of these pieces can be found in the appendix of this finding aid book, which is currently stored in 29 archive boxes (plus some loose pieces) in the magazine of the Raschi-Haus (Regal 25) together with the total of six linear metres of written material after 1945. With the new indexing of the inventory Abt. 40 - Gemeindearchiv Herrnsheim - was started in December 2005, the indexing work was completed in July 2006. In addition to the written material already listed, unlisted material was also taken into account. The indexing work was carried out according to the Bär principle, whereby a new numbering inevitably resulted with the dissolution of earlier larger indexing units, i.e. new signatures were assigned for these documents. Therefore a concordance between old and new signatures was created and attached to this find book. The entire inventory was entered into the AUGIAS archiving program and simultaneously indexed (company, location, person and subject index). The basis for the classification was the hess. The file plan of 1908 was chosen and modified and supplemented according to local needs. For reasons of data protection, approx. 140 files were provided with blocking notices for use. The relatively high number results from the fact that a large number of civil documents are available for which the Civil Status Act provides guidelines for use or non-use. Thin folders from the period around 1930/40 were collected, which contained Generalia - often only in the size of 2-3 sheets - and had no direct reference to matters in Herrnsheim; in addition, two bundles of calibration maps were sorted out, which have no informative value whatsoever. In total, the scope of the cassation covers three archive boxes. The municipal archive Herrnsheim is kept to the extent of 2538 units of description (numerically up to 2534) in 308 archive boxes (49 linear metres, of which 2 linear metres are official books). The duration ranges from 1445 to the 1970s, with a focus on the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Despite incorporation in 1942, the cut for the index was set at 1945 so that two border data did not have to be taken into account within only three years, i.e. 1942 as the year of incorporation on the one hand, 1945 as the border year for the files handed down by the city administration before 1945 (Dept. 5) and after 1945 (Dept. 6) on the other. Therefore, the files were left in Dept. 40, in which at least one document from 1945 was still contained - irrespective of whether the temporal focus of the file tended to concern the period after 1945. IV. State of preservation The state of preservation of the files and official records of the present municipal archives can be described as good by and large. Unfortunately a larger number of pieces affected with mould is to be registered in particular under the calculations and documents, as well as the handbooks and diaries over incomes and expenditures: 45 with light mould infestation, with mould and water damages 7 pieces and 14 volumes are sport and have mould milk damages. Besides, a part of the document books to the calculations as well as a large number of the handbooks and diaries (approx. 140 pieces, i.e. approx. 5.5 es total stock) show beside mould and spores also water damages. Ten official books (invoice receipts and property tax section directories) are bound in such a way that parchment, which as a rule is inscribed with liturgical texts, forms the spine of the book in second use. Also thread-stitched files, as known from Prussian administration, can be found in Dept. 40. These are the official records (Protocollum Judicale, Dept. 40 No. 295 - 298). V. Tips for the use of the inventory The signatures of the individual sources are indicated with : City Archive Worms Dept. 40 No..... The often underestimated significance of the following sources should be pointed out here. In the volumes of documents relating to the invoices, in addition to newspapers (e.g. Dept. 40 No. 2409), there are also work chords (Dept. 40 No. 2469), invoices of various companies (Dept. 40 No. 2502), e.g. on work performed and material used for it (Dept. 40 No. 2504). The correspondence registers (e.g. Dept. 40 No. 651, No. 652) were also kept in full text in some years, so that the complete correspondence between the higher authority or private persons on the one hand and the mayor's office on the other hand can be traced in connection with the corresponding fact files. The significance of the inventory of estates as a source genre for genealogical, social and economic research should be pointed out in particular. The inventories are in the present stock under the classification group X.02.e. Inheritances and guardianship matters registered. There are also files on asset sharing and wills. For ease of use, the units of description have been sorted roughly alphabetically by surname, with all occurring surnames "underlined" at the same time. With regard to the index of persons, it should be noted that in very few exceptional cases the correct alphabetical order was broken. If the usual spelling of a common name was extremely changed, the allocation was made within the normal one, e.g. 'Pardong' instead of 'Bardong', here the classification took place under 'B'. If family names were used with equal weight in different spellings and their proximity was recognizable within the alphabet, no standardization or assignment was made, e.g. Ertelmeyer/Erdelmeyer. The company index was created so that smaller businesses in the municipality, which normally only run under the personal name (e.g. J. Hübner, Buchdruckerei), could also be recorded. It would be very difficult to find small companies within the index. Now the list can be flown over within the company index - also in case of classification (depending on how the transaction is usually called) partly under the first name, partly under the last name or under the business object. The prefix "Fa." was omitted because it was not used regularly [possibly also at different times] even by one and the same company. That's why it's uncertain to what extent he's really part of the name. Apo counters and restaurants mentioned by name were also included in this index. General designations such as locksmith's shop and glazier's shop have been added to the index. VI. supplementary archive holdings Dept. 13 No. 1777 'Gewerbebetriebe zu Herrnsheim' (1860-1888) Dept. 30 Hess. Kreisamt Worms (e.g. files in the area of trade supervision, admission to the Hessian state association) Abt. 49 Gemeindearchiv Pfeddersheim (Herrnsheim as a municipality belonging to the canton of Pfeddersheim) Abt. 159 Herrnsheimer Dalbergarchiv Hess. State Archive Darmstadt: Family Archive of Dalberg (Dept. O 1 A-B) VII Literature BARDONG, Otto, Harlesheim - Herlisheim - Herrnsheim. Contributions to local and parish history, in: Herrns-heim 771-1971, edited by Otto Bardong, Worms 1971, pp. 43-104. BÖNNEN, Gerold (edited on behalf of the city of Worms), Geschichte der Stadt Worms, Stuttgart 2005. WOLF, Jürgen Rainer/SPENGLER, Hugo (Bearb.), Family Archive v. Dalberg (Dept. O 1 A-B) 1424-1846 (= Repertories of the Hessian State Archive Darmstadt 22/1), Darmstadt 1985. Herrnsheim. Portrait of a community, edited on the occasion of the 1225th anniversary in 1996 by the local community of Worms-Herrnsheim.
Inventory historyThe 2668 units of description recorded in this repertory are only a fragment of the original records of the Konsistorium - albeit a quite respectable one - as they were before the authority moved to Düsseldorf in 1934. With the help of the received handwritten or typewritten file directories, the losses or inventory shifts that have occurred can be reconstructed exactly. The chronology spans over forty years:I) As early as 1931, extensive files were collected within the Consistory. The basis for this decision, which was made in the Koblenz office building due to acute lack of space, was a list drawn up in 1929 by Konsistorialoberinspektor Mähler ("sale of files for stamping"). Summary information on the groups of files concerned can be found in Faszikel A II 1 a 9 (serial no. 28):- Travel expenses (A II 1 b 2 and 5) up to 1920- Office requirements (A II 1 b 3) up to 1920- Forms (A II 2 31) up to 1920- Publication of the Official Gazette (A II 2 35) up to 1920- Accounting of the Official Gazette (A II 2 37) up to 1915- Invoices incl. Documents about the church sub-funds up to 1910- Collections up to 1910- Collections yield records up to 1920- Collections concerning the church sub-funds up to 1910- Collections up to 1910- Collections up to 1920- Collections concerning the church sub-funds up to 1910- Collections up to 1910- Collections up to 1920- Collections concerning the church sub-funds up to 1910- Collections up to 1910- Collections up to 1920- Collections up to 1920- Collections up to 1920 Applications for pastors up to 1925- Business diaries up to 1900- Budget files up to 1905- Property files up to 1905- Beiakte up to 1905- Order awards for clergy (B V a 14) up to 1910- Support for clergy and parish widows (B V b 29 u. 86) until 1910- Leave granted to clergy (B V b 64) until 1910- Contributions to the parish widows' and pension fund (B V b 89f.) until 1910- Pension fund accounts (B V b 93f.) until 1910- Remarks on pensions and widows' and orphans' pensions for clergy (B V b 91 u.) 95) until 1910- Aid from the Grant Fund (B V b 104) until 1910- Instructions of the Age Allowances for Ministers (B V b 105) until 1910- Insurance Contributions to the Age Allowance Fund (B V b 106) until 1910- Employment of Vicars from the Vicarage Fund (B VII b 19) until 1905- The teaching vicariate of the candidates (B VII b 17) to 1910 - cash affairs of the vicariate fund (B VII b 20) to 1910II) In September 1934 -directly before the move to Düsseldorf- the following files were destroyed for reasons of space after a note by Mähler:- old diaries until 1914- old budget files until 1915- old files on pensions, widows' pensions etc. until 1920- old files about support for clergy and parish widows- old files about lending of marriage memorial coins- old files about the house collection delivery fund until 1910- old files about "miscellaneous"- old files about the publication of the church official gazette until 1920- old files about instruction of the teaching vicars until 1925- old collections on collection yields up to 1920- old files on church taxes up to 1905- old annual reports of the Superintendents up to 1932The files of the Konsistorium Köln, dissolved in 1825, were also handed over to the Staatsarchiv Düsseldorf in 1934 and survived the war. In today's Main State Archives, this collection with a total of 512 volumes (running time 1786-1838, predominantly 1815-1826) is assigned to Department 2 (Rheinisches Behördenarchiv). (4) A parallel transfer of 525 files of the period 1816-1827 took place to the State Archives Koblenz, where they formed the collection 551. Unfortunately it was completely burned during the air raids on Koblenz in 1944. The same fate suffered stock 443 (princely Wiedische government in Neuwied), in which some Konsistorialakte under the Nr. 143-161 were integrated. Only the finding aids of these two holdings are still available in the Landeshauptarchiv Koblenz. Further consistorial acts were assigned to the following holdings:Best. 309, 1 (French Consistorium General Mainz) No. 1-17Best. 381 (Landeskommission St. Wendel) No. 17-33Best. 382 (Government St. Wendel) No. 420-502Best. 387 (Landgräflich Hessische Regierung Homburg) No. 187-295The holdings 309, 1 and 387 are still in the LHA Koblenz, the remaining two are today on permanent loan in the Landesarchiv Saarbrücken.III) 1936-1937, after lengthy negotiations with the Staatsarchiv Koblenz, the consistorial files in the narrower sense that began in 1826ff. were returned to the Provinzialkirchenarchiv (Provincial Church Archive). It had been in Bonn since 1928, and since 1936 it had its own premises in Hofgarten 13. A 46-page compilation of these extensive holdings by Lic. Rodewald from 1938 is available. (5) These are predominantly the older files of the 19th century, but also, for example, the documents from the war period 1914-1918; in any case, these were files which were "only" of purely historical value and which were considered dispensable for the business.IV) On 14 November 1939, the Konsistorium issued a circular letter to the Superintendents on the possibility of handing over the examination papers of deceased priests to family members. The background was a request by the now Provincial Church archivist Lic. Rosenkranz, who thus sought to alleviate the acute lack of space in the Hofgarten. Initially, 31 pastors whose documents had already been selected by Rosenkranz are listed here. (6) The unsolicited examination papers were then to be destroyed in February 1940. The campaign was continued eight more times until February 1943, when it fell victim to the wartime restrictions on the Consistory's operations. (7) The only condition for the file request was the submission of 50 Pfennig return postage. A total of 908 pastors were listed. It is not possible to determine which documents were actually still requested back by the families and thus saved from later destruction.V) On 12.11.1943, the director of the Koblenz State Archives, Dr. Hirschfeld, in his capacity as air-raid commissary, called on the Konsistorium to outsource the files kept in Düsseldorf (8). This was rejected on the grounds that the (current) personnel files were already in an air-raid shelter recognised as bomb-proof; for the remaining files, structural security measures would now be taken immediately. These can be found documented in a cost estimate of 10.12.1943 by architect Otto Schönhagen, the head of the provincial church building authority: The registry office facing Freiligrathstraße is to be provided with protective walls for -some modest- 720 Reichsmark. It can be assumed that these conversions were carried out at the beginning of 1944. In any case, the files remaining at the Konsistorium itself came through the war without any noticeable losses.VI) On the other hand, the Hofgarten 13 building was completely destroyed during the air raid on Bonn on 18 October 1944. The fire had reached the cellar so quickly that both the older personnel files of the pastors and the Konsistorial inventory returned from Koblenz in 1937 were totally lost. In contrast to the old pertinence holdings, these holdings were not outsourced to the Provinzialkirchenarchiv and the Kirchenbücher. This is by far the greatest loss suffered by the original Consistorial tradition, especially in the 19th century. It is to be quantified on approx. 400-600 volumes of fact files (Generalia and Spezialia) as well as on an even higher number of personnel files. In this repertory, the burnt predecessor volumes are listed under the heading "Remarks"; the frequently occurring spring numbers in the holdings signatures indicate the complete loss of a file. For a very detailed reconstruction of the holdings destroyed in Bonn, which would be possible, the Rodewald List would have to be compared with the existing handwritten file directories. Fortunately, to a certain extent there exists a replacement tradition in the form of files of the Upper Presidium of the Rhine Province in the LHA Koblenz. (9) Important material that has not otherwise been handed down in Düsseldorf is also contained in the Rhine Province Department of the holdings 7 (Evangelical High Council of Churches) in EZA Berlin. (10)VI) On 24 February 1972, the Regional Church Office decided to hand over the long overdue files of the former Consistory to the Regional Church Archive. (11) Previously, despite their duration, some of which dates back to 1826, they were considered to be registry properties and were also administered by the registry. Since also in 1971 in connection with the move into the new office building of the LKA in the Hans-Böckler-Straße a general registration cut took place, the specialties of the church districts and the church communities were pulled out of the Konsistorialakten and summarized to separate stocks (31 church districts as well as 41 local records). Unfortunately, the separation was not complete, so that still considerable file parts remained in the Konsistorial inventory. In the present repertory, it is always noted if the following volumes are in stocks 31 or 41. Conversely, in the typewritten finding aids for these two holdings, it is noted which pre-volumes can be found in the Konsistorial files. note on useThe following file plan of the Konsistorialkanzlei dates from the 19th century and was updated into the 1940s. The term "n.a." (no files available) for individual subgroups can indicate complete loss due to the effects of war. As a rule, however, the relevant files have been removed as outlined above and added to newly created series of holdings. This also applies to all personnel files. The 90 business diaries preserved for the period 1928-1948 are added to the list of units of description listed here. There have been no archival indexing aids for the stock so far. A typewritten alphabetical index of the existing files, created in 1931 by the registry of the time, was available, though without any information on the running time. Two further large-volume handwritten file indexes were first written in one hand around 1850 and then updated over a period of almost 100 years. (12) Many of the files listed there have now been lost. Nevertheless, the two files still retain an important significance, since they indicate the file transfers and re-signings within the Konsistorial registry and the reconstruction of the lost holdings is at all only possible with them.The first partial file recording by auxiliary staff began around 1990. The undersigned has compared the contents of these photographs. It was not possible to completely standardize their extremely different distortion intensities. The present repertory is therefore not "of one mould". The index in this printed version covers only the names of places and persons as well as a few selected terms. A complete keyword search is possible via the database of the Archive of the EKiR. The files of the Konsistorium cover almost all facets of church life in the Rhine Province. The tradition for the time of the Weimar Republic and the Nazi regime up to 1945 is almost completely preserved. On the other hand, the files from the First World War are largely lost, not to mention the often only rudimentary tradition for the 19th century. With the previous scientific use one cannot avoid the impression that the latent mistrust of wide church circles in the Rhineland towards this authority has been reflected since its foundation up to the research. In addition, there may be an understandable aversion towards individual members of the Consistory who are burdened in the church struggle. It is to be hoped that a relaxed - of course never uncritical - way of dealing with this so expressive material will enrich our knowledge of the Protestant church history of the Rhineland.Düsseldorf, 31 October 2001(Dr. Stefan Flesch)1. Cf. the following Max Bär: Die Behördenverfassung der Rheinprovinz seit 1815 (Publikationen der Gesellschaft für Rheinische Geschichtskunde 35), Bonn 1919 (ND Meisenheim 1965), S. 153-164; Werner Heun: Art. Konsistorium, in: TRE Vol. XIX, S. 483-488; on the general embedding of church law and church politics see Die Geschichte der Evangelischen Kirche der Union, edited by J.F.Gerhard Goeters and Joachim Rogge, Leipzig 1992-1999, passim2. For this bear, a.a.O., p. 162: "The governments were left only with the supervision of the church books, the care for the establishment and maintenance of the church courts, the ordering and execution of the police regulations necessary for the maintenance of the external ecclesiastical order, the supervision of the administration of property and the appointment or confirmation of the secular church servants to be appointed for the ecclesiastical administration of property and the supervision of them and, together with the consistory, the alteration of existing and the introduction of new succession fees and the alteration of existing and the formation of new parish districts."3. today's address: Konrad-Adenauer-Ufer 12. cf. History of the City of Koblenz vol. 2, Stuttgart 1993, p. 426f.4The holdings of the North Rhine-Westphalian State Archives. Brief overview, Düsseldorf 1994, p. 98. A 30-page compilation of the files submitted can be found in A II 1 a 9 Bd. I.5. B I a 29 Bd. IV6. Circular No. 11073 in B I a 29 Bd. IV, in alphabetical order: Heinrich Wilhelm Achelis; Hugo Achenbach ( 1908); Julius Achenbach ( 1893); August Bergfried ( 1922); Friedrich Wilhelm Rudolf Böhm ( 1867); Emil Döring ( 1925); Georg Doermer ( 1888); Heinrich Doermer ( 1839); August Ludwig Euler ( 1911); Karl Furck ( 1911); Gustav Adolf Haasen ( 1841); Julius Haastert; Philipp Jakob Heep ( 1899); Gustav Höfer; Paul Kind; Karl Margraf ( 1919); Daniel Gottlieb Müller ( 1892); Andreas Natrop ( 1923); Christian Friedrich Nelson ( 1891); August Penserot ( 1866); Reinhard Potz ( 1920); Eduard Schneegans (born 1810); Philipp Jakob Stierle ( 1887); Eduard Vieten ( 1869); Josef August Voigt ( 1869); Johann Gustav Volkmann ( 1842); Reinhard Vowinkel ( 1898); Friedrich Weinmann ( 1860); Friedrich Wenzel ( 1909); Gustav Wienands ( 1929)7th ibid.March 1940 (48 names), November 1940 (33 names), September 1941 (47 names), February 1942 (123 names), July 1942 (118 names), October 1942 (128 names), November 1942 (176 names), February 1943 (204 names)8. A II 1 a 9 Vol. I (current No. 28). Cf. Petra Weiß's contribution to the overall problem: Die Bergung von Kulturgütern auf der Festung Ehrenbreitstein, in: Jahrbuch für Westdeutsche Landesgeschichte 26 (2000), pp. 421-4529. Cf. Inventory of the Upper Presidium of the Rhine Province, Part 1 (Publications of the Rhineland-Palatinate State Archives Administration, vol. 71), Koblenz 1996, pp. 42-45 and 396-40910. Christa Stache: Das Evangelische Zentralarchiv in Berlin und seine Bestände, Berlin 1992, pp. 61-64 as well as handwritten repertory especially of the department Rheinland (copy available in the AEKR Düsseldorf). The inventory comprises approx. 25 linear metres.11. LKA files 23-2-3 vol. 3 (resolution); cf. also the letter of Archivrat Schmidt of 9.9.1971 in 22-28 vol. 212. All mentioned finding aids are kept in the repertory collection of the Landeskirchlichen Archivs.
Contains: 1) Report of Lieutenant Colonel F. v. Winkelmann to the Württemberg Minister of War; Samarang, 6 Aug. 1807, copy Maschinenschr. 16 Sheet 2) Correspondence of Lieutenant Fr. v. Winkelmann with the Dutch Governor of Java, Nikolaus Engelhard March-April 1808, copy Maschinenschrift 3) Letter of the former Karlsakademist, Captain Philipp Gaupp to his former classmate Fr. Carl von Adelsheim, Kgl. Lieutenant Oberleutnant a.D.; sd., copy machine 2 sheet with explanations for family history 4) Testament of Lieutenant Wilhelm Max Frhr. von Hügel, Samarang, 11 May 1821 with inventory of his property. Copy 5) The Württemberg Cape Regiment of Major General a.D. von Loeffler in special supplement of the State Gazette for Württemberg No. 15-18 1896 6) Franz August Trefz in Sunday supplement to the Swabian Mercury No. 587, from Dec. 1925 7) Fatherland History (of the Cape Regiment in East India) in Swabian Kronik No. 191, 14 Aug. 1887 8) The cave of Amboina by Helmut Gaupp, (2 newspaper clippings) 9) A Great Britain captain from the margraviate of O. E. Sutter in the pyramid weekly of the Karlsruher Tagblatt 23. Jg.Nr. 39, 30. Sept. 1934 10) Gaupp, life fate of my grandfather in the pyramid 23. Jg. Nr. 47-49, Nov.-Dec. 1934 11) Pedigree book of the field preacher M. Johannes Haas. Extracts print